Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The road to a Liver Transplant

Well, as you can imagine, I've been doing even more reading, research, etc. since we found out we're headed toward a liver transplant. If anyone is interested, I found some great details on how the PELD scoring is done as well as general information on the types of transplant options. For a pediatric liver, you can do whole, split (adult liver to 2 kids), or even living (take one lobe of an adult relative). Email me if you want to read more - some of the best details are actual presentations that were archived from a liver conference last year. Many of the topics were specific to pediatric liver transplantation.

Latest on Mario: he responded well to the Vitamin K shot, so we will check his blood work bi-weekly for now. He has an ultrasound on 9/24 and more tests. The head GI nurse (my new best friend :) ) called today to tell me the transplant coordinator will get ahold of me in the next day or two. So, we'll be getting a lot more information soon. They seem to have a very organized approach, prepared to walk us through everything from listing criteria to insurance requirements, etc. Lots of hospital resources available to help us through this.

Thanks to those of you who have called and written. I might not always respond, but we sure do appreciate hearing from you. Know that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were holding out hope that you wouldn't get this news. But as you said, now that you know it, you can move forward. We keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of hugs & kisses. Scheri

Anonymous said...

We are both thinking of you and can not imagine the stress and pain you must be feeling. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I am home full time and can come over in a moments notice to babysit. Karin